Improve the management of construction costs and resources by assigning Cost Codes to construction change orders
ConstructionOnline's industry-leading financial toolkit provides construction companies with cutting-edge software solutions designed to enhance their change order management while simultaneously protecting their bottom line.
To boost division cost visibility and accurately track costs throughout a project, ConstructionOnline™ Company Users can assign Cost Codes to their construction Change Orders—giving project team members complete visibility of the costs associated with changes or additions to the initial scope of work.
By assigning Cost Codes to Change Orders, Company Users can build a detailed documentation of cost data throughout the entirety of each project.
This article contains the following sections:
- Step-by-step instructions
- Best use recommendation
- Video walkthrough
- Additional information
- To assign Cost Codes to Change Orders, a Cost Code List must be assigned to the Project.
- Only Company Admin Users or the Project Creator can add a Cost Code List to a Project.
STEPS TO ADD A COST CODE TO A CHANGE ORDER
- Navigate to the desired Project via the Left Sidebar.
- Select the Financials tab, then choose the Change Orders category.
- From the Change Orders Overview pane, click anywhere on the desired Change Order to open the Change Order Details window.
- Within the "Details" window, select the secondary Markup & Price tab.
- Locate the Cost Code column, then click inside the corresponding cell for the entire Change Order (Lump Sum) or individual line item (Detailed Change Order).
- As a reminder, Cost Codes cannot be added to a Change Order if a Cost Code List has not been added to the Project. Attempting to add a Cost Code without a Cost Code List will trigger the message "You do not have a cost code list assigned to this project".
- Begin entering the desired Cost Code. As you start typing, a dropdown menu with all corresponding Cost Codes will appear.
- To make the entire Cost Code List appear in the dropdown menu, enter a single space in the Cost Code cell.
- Select the desired Cost Code from the dropdown menu.
- If working with a Detailed Change Order, continue adding a Cost Code to each individual line item as desired.
- Finalize adding your Cost Code(s) to the Change Order by clicking the blue "Save" button OR clicking the "Save & Notify" button to send additional email notifications.
Construction cost codes are a standard set of values that represent common construction expenses, allowing companies to track, manage, report, and catalogue costs & spending throughout a project. By regularly assigning cost codes to the construction change orders in each of your projects, your company can:
- Improve cost management, allowing you to generate more accurate bids & estimates for future jobs
- Identify areas where growth is possible & additional profit can be earned, resulting in the overall growth of your business
- Standardize processes and minimize human error from the manual entry of financial data
- The Change Order Details window can also be accessed by right-clicking on the desired Change Order and selecting "Edit Change Order" from the dropdown menu.
- Only one Cost Code can be assigned to each Lump Sum Change Order.
- For Detailed Change Orders, only one Cost Code can be assigned to each line item of the Change Order.
- Permissions: ConstructionOnline™ Company Users must have Change Orders permissions set to "Can Create, Edit, & Delete" to add Cost Codes to Change Orders.
- ClientLink/TeamLink Access: ClientLink™ and TeamLink™ Users cannot add or view any information in relation to Cost Codes—including any Cost Codes assigned to Change Orders.
- Mobile App: Company Users can also add Cost Codes to Change Orders using the CO™ Mobile App.
HAVE MORE QUESTIONS?
We're here to help! Chat with a Specialist by clicking the orange Chat icon in the bottom left corner or Contact UDA Support for additional options.